Monday, May 3, 2010

Mother-Daughter Day in Greensburg

At 22, I find myself at a transitional stage with my mom. We’re almost to that point where I’m old enough for us to be friends, but I’m not quite old enough to have outgrown her authoritative, parental dynamic. Luckily, as a resident of Greensburg, I’m living in a city that’s diverse enough to bring us together for a night.

Recently, my mom and I got together for dinner and a show at the Palace Theatre. We caught the April 17th performance of Close Enough for Jazz, by the River City Brass Band. Jazz isn’t always my genre of choice, but I have been known to find WDUQ Jazz on my car radio from time to time (okay, actually it’s a programmed favorite). As for mom, she loves jazz. And although I may not be as devoted a fan as she, we both loved the show – it was phenomenal. The guest conductor – Steve Hawk, from Slippery Rock University – was amazing, a truly talented musician. He performed as well as conducted, and his line-up of tunes kept the pace of the show up-beat and entertaining, even participatory at points. The songs they played mixed traditional jazz with WWII era swing and big-band.

Before the show, we had dinner at one of Greensburg’s newest restaurants, One Eleven. Neither of us had been there before, but I had heard that reservations were a must. And now, after having dined there, I can see why. Both our meals were delicious. We each ordered fish specials, a grilled marlin for me and Sicilian tuna with pasta for mom. And we splurged a little too, each ordering the crab bisque, a glass of wine and a post-meal cup of coffee. Portions were more than generous, so if you try out One Eleven, be sure to come with an appetite and don’t forget your doggy bag!

After our meal, we enjoyed the short walk from the restaurant to the theatre. It was a little chilly, but a well-lit and pleasant walk, none-the-less. It had been only my second time to the Palace, and the quality of the show exceeded my expectations. Like my mom kept saying, it was a show worthy of Heinz Hall, for half the price!

So with Mother’s Day approaching this weekend, I hope everyone will consider treating mom to a day or night out in Greensburg!

P.S. – If you're in need of a gift, River City Brass is back at the Palace on Saturday, May 8 for Cirque du Brass Band!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!